May 2, 1921|
A FINE GENTLEMAN CLAIMED BY DEATH
The many friends and acquaintances in this city learned with much regret this morning of the death of Dr. H. W. Bays, which occurred last night about 12 o'clock at the home of his daughter, Mrs. W. G. Stevens.
Dr. Bays was one of the finest characters that ever lived in this community, being termed "a gentleman of the old school," and as a Methodist minister he was well and most favorably known all over the State, having served as pastor at many places and as presiding elder at this place, Sumter, Charleston, Columbia and other places. He was in his 80th year.
Dr. Bays was born at Elk Garden, Va., being a son fo James Jasper Bays and Mrs. Mary Webb Bays, both of whom were of English descent.
After a common school training, he entered Emory and Henry College of Virginia and graduated with the A. M. Degree.
Doctor Bays, in 1862, enlisted in the Confederate army and did valiant service for more than three years. Because of his conspicuous gallantry on the bloody field of Chickamauga, he was promoted to the position of assistant adjutant on the staff of General William E. Preston.
He was licensed to preach in Lebanon Va.,January 5, 1867. His first work as minister was in Tennessee, where he remained for twenty years. He was then transferred to the North Carolina Conference and in 1892 to the South Carolina Conference.
He was a man of studious habits and scholarly attainments, and had some very interesting lectures that he delivered at times in the intrest of the churches and charitable affairs.
On October 1, 1868, he was married to Miss Frances Virginia Herbert, of Herberts Bend, N. C., who preceded him in death about two years ago.
Surviving Dr. Bays are the following daughters: Mrs. W. G. Stevenes and Mrs. W. B. Wilson, Jr., of this city, and Mrs. Percy C. Blackman of Asheville, N. C.
Dr. Bays had written a number of poems, one of which, "My Mother's Grave," was pronounced a production of high poetic order.
The funeral service will be conducted at the home Tuesday afternoon at 4 o'clock by Rev. R. S. Truesdale of Columbia, assisted by Rev. J. W. Speake of St. John's Methodist Church and Rev. Alexander Martin of the Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church of this city.
Thus has passed away one of the most courteous and scholarly gentlemen who has ever honored our city by residence here.