February 5, 1915|
Dr. S. W. Gibson, who died at Castlewood, Sunday, January 17th, was a retired physician. His body was laid to rest in the family burying ground near the old homestead with Masonic honors. He was a Mason. Dr. Gibson was born in Russell county, December 19, 1825. He was 89 years and 28 days old. He was married to Miss Harriet L. Bickley, September 29, 1860. From this union were born five children, two of these, Mr. S. C. Gibson and Mrs. S. C. Gose, both of Castlewoods. And his aged widow remains to mourn his loss.
Dr. Gibson was a surgeon in the Confederate army. For more than forty years he was a practicing physician in Russell and often his services were sought in Wise, Dickenson, Scott and Buchanan counties. He was successful as a physician and business man, accumulating considerable property notwithstanding his liberality to the poor, whom he never denied.
Dr. Gibson gave the ground for the M. E. chuch and Masonic hall at Castlewood, contributed liberally to Emory and Henry and Martha Washington Colleges. He is widely and honorably connected in this county.